Home / Blog / Blog / Corgi Puppies Aren’t Just for Royalty, But Your Family Too!
Corgi Puppies Aren’t Just for Royalty, But Your Family Too!
August 15, 2017
That’s right, people! Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppies aren’t just made for the Queen, they can fit in anywhere!
Pembroke Welsh corgis are immediately identifiable by their short stature, prick ears and foxy face (with or without a queen included!). This quirky little breed originally hails from Wales, like their name implies and were herding dogs for farmers. With their fierce intelligence, eagerness to please and short little bodies, they made the ideal farmhand. While the Queen of England is credited for bringing the Corgi into the mainstream of dog owning, the breed does a great job of stealing people’s hearts as a beloved family pet. Have you seen the Corgi, but aren’t sure if one might be right for your family? Read further on our blog to find out fun facts about the personality and characteristics of Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppies!
While their names come from the Celtic language, meaning of “dwarf dog”, the Corgi makes up for it with fighting spirit:
- Pembroke Welsh Corgis are known for their quick intelligence and forceful will. They are active, animated dogs and do not ever want to be left out of the action. In their own minds, they are big dogs in small bodies.
- Corgis have weatherproof double coats that are short and smooth to the body. The color ranges from a rich red or fawn to black or sable with white markings. The blacks usually have white and tan to make them technically tri-colored in appearance.
- Because of their herding background, Corgis are a hearty, energetic breed. They require daily exercise and playtime to keep them happy and entertained.
- They typically weigh around 22-28lbs and have an average lifespan of 10-12 years.
- Most Corgis are fine with other pets and children if they have been raised with them. Beware that they will sometimes chase the heels of small running children because of their herding instincts!
- They need a firm and patient hand with training, because they can be willful. But we find treats help with any kind of puppy training!
Think that Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppies might be right for you and your family? Well, check out all our adorable Corgi puppies on our available puppies page! You can also always give our Pet Counselors a call to make an appointment and get in some puppy kisses today!